Daniel Johnson’s Free/Libre Fonts

The fonts featured below are all free/libre. Most of them have appeared on the OFLB website. They were all designed using George Williams’s fine FontForge; some work was also done using Inkscape.

Didact Gothic

Didact Gothic is a sans-serif font designed to present each letter in its simplest form. This makes it very suitable for literacy efforts.

The font supports all of Basic Latin, Latin-1 Supplement, and most of Latin Extended-A. It supports almost all Latin-alphabet European languages. It also supports the major Cyrillic scripts, including non-Slavic languages, as well as modern and polytonic Greek.

The most recent version of Didact Gothic was released on 22 December 2010. Didact Gothic is relased under the Open Font License.

Pfennig Pfennig is a humanist sans-serif font with support for Latin, Cyrillic, Greek and Hebrew character sets. It contains sufficient characters for Latin-0 through Latin-10, as well as glyphs for all modern Cyrillic orthographies, the full Vietnamese range, modern Greek, modern Hebrew, and the Pan-African Alphabet. It supports the standard Roman ligatures and uses OpenType tables for diacritic placement. The italic faces are true italics, not just oblique.

The most recent version of Pfennig was released on 31 August 2010.

Pfennig is released under the Open Font License.

Jura Jura is a family of sans-serif fonts in the Eurostile vein. It was originally inspired by some work I was doing for the FreeFont project in designing a Kayah Li range for FreeMono. (Kayah Li is a language used by a minority people group in Burma. Because the Burmese government suppresses the teaching of minority scripts, the Kayah Li script is taught only in schools in refugee camps in Thailand.) I wanted to create a Roman alphabet using the same kinds of strokes and curves as the Kayah Li glyphs, and thus Jura was born. It has been expanded to include glyphs for the Cyrillic and Greek alphabets as well.

The original Kayah Li glyphs have been included in this font. (Note that glyphs for writing mainstream Burmese are not and never have been a part of this font.) Whilst most of the glyphs in this font are released under the Open Font License, the Kayah Li range are released under the GNU Public Licence, version 3 with the Font Exception.

Jura is available in four weights: Light, Book, Medium, and DemiBold. The most recent version is 2.4, created on 3 February 2009. A new version is in the works, which will add OpenType diacritic placement and a few glyph improvements.

The Jura family has an unfortunate name clash with Ed Merritt’s Jura serif font.

Judson Judson is a serif font designed for African literacy. It contains as many glyphs and precomposed combinations that I know of for all African languages written in Latin-derived alphabets. It uses OpenType tables for correct placement of diacritical marks, including stacked marks. Care has been taken so that all characters are easily distinguished, even in the italic face. The medium roman face has support for the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).

Currently Judson is only available in medium roman, italic and bold roman faces; at this time there is no bold italic.

Judson is released under the Open Font License. The most recent version was released on 27 January 2011.

Triod Postnaja Triod Postnaja attempts to mimic the typefaces used to publish Old Church Slavonic service books prior to the 20th century. It also provides a range of Latin letters in the same style, sufficient for the needs of central, northern and western European languages.

Most Old Church Slavonic fonts that provide Latin ranges are problematic in the Latin lowercase, because they are not imitating the uncial style; I have attempted to avoid this problem, especially in lowercase letters with ascenders or descenders.

I created many of the basic Cyrillic letterforms after eyeballing a very low-resolution image of the repertoire of Monotype Old Bulgarian.

Triod Postnaja is released under the Open Font License.

megrim Megrim is an experimental font covering most of the basic ASCII glyphset, plus enough characters to write most Latin-alphabet European languages. It is released under the Open Font License. The most recent version was created on 31 August 2010.

grana padano Grana Padano is a medium-weight upright sans-serif font in roughly the same family as Apple Computer’s historic Chicago font. It has support for Latin and Cyrillic character sets, containing sufficient characters for Latin-0 through Latin-10, as well as support for Vietnamese and all major Slavic Cyrillic-based languages. It uses OpenType tables for diacritic placement. The most recent version was released on 29 April 2010.

Grana Padano is released under the Open Font License.

aguardiente Aguardiente is an ultra-heavy sans-serif font. The lowercase range is made up of small caps. The most recent version was released on 15 March 2010.

Aguardiente is released under the Open Font License.

Echo Outline is an outline font I created for an album cover I designed. It contains lowercase unaccented letters, numerals and a few bits of punctuation. It is really only legible at large point sizes. It is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA License.

The 20100919 release from the FreeFont project contains many character ranges that I designed:

See my Amazon.com wishlist